The Types of Workers’ Compensation Awards in Ohio

man at desk crutches

What Types of Awards Will I Receive From Workers’ Compensation?

An on-the-job accident can rob your family of its financial stability. The lack of money coming into the household makes recovering from or dealing with the injury all the more challenging.

Rather than watch your family suffer financially, you can take measures now to pursue benefits under Ohio workers’ compensation law. You can file your case and go after these funds in earnest by hiring an experienced Ohio workers' compensation attorney from Charles Zamora Co., L.P.A. to represent you.

Our knowledgeable attorneys can identify what benefits you and your family are eligible to receive under Ohio workers’ compensation laws. One of the most common awards that we pursue is a lump-sum settlement.

Lump-Sum Settlement

A lump-sum compensation is awarded after the injured worker, the employer, and the Ohio Bureau of Workers or BWC reach an agreement. This agreement allows for a one-time payment of a specific amount of money to the injured worker. After this money is dispersed to them, the injured employee cannot receive any additional workers’ compensation benefits.

Lump-Sum Advancement

A lump-sum advancement is similar to a lump-sum settlement. However, as its name implies, it is an advance of funds or prepayment of future permanent total disability, scheduled loss, or death benefits.

An advance of this money can be requested by eligible beneficiaries to cover costs like:

  • School tuition
  • Household bills
  • Handicap van lifts
  • Other allowable disability-related expenses

The beneficiary requesting the prepayment must show proof in the form of documentation for why the money is needed. We can assist you in obtaining a lump-sum advancement if you have been awarded compensation for a work-related injury.

Death Benefits

When the on-the-job injury results in the loss of life, the workers' spouse and dependent children have the right to pursue death benefits from the state's workers' compensation program. Filing for these benefits can be particularly challenging, however. As your lawyer, we can speed up the process, along with aid in ensuring proper filing.

How Our Attorneys Can Help

We assist grieving survivors with tasks like filing the required documentation and contacting the Ohio BWC and/or the Industrial Commission in Ohio to request death benefits. We can also make sure that the case is filed within the one-year statute of limitations that the state mandates for obtaining workers’ compensation death benefits.

Living Maintenance and Living Maintenance Wage Loss

Depending on the circumstances of your case, you also could be eligible to receive living maintenance or living maintenance wage loss benefits. Living maintenance can be awarded to injured workers who participate in rehabilitation programs. The injured workers can receive these benefits for no more than six months unless the BWC approves the extension.

Living maintenance wage loss benefits can be paid to injured workers who complete a qualifying vocational program and continue to have physical limitations that cause them to suffer wage losses. We can pursue either of these benefits for you if you qualify for them.

Change of Occupation

If you are able to return to work, you could qualify for a change of occupation under the state's workers’ compensation program. We can request on your behalf a change of occupation if your former position would expose you to conditions that would worsen or continue your illness or injury.

Some of the health conditions that would warrant this change of occupation include:

  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Coal miner's pneumoconiosis
  • Asbestosis

Types of Disability Compensation

In addition, injured workers may be eligible for temporary or total disability (TTD) compensation when the injury prevents them from working on a temporary basis.

Permanent total disability (PTD) compensation is available when the injured worker is permanently and totally unable to work in all forms of sustained remunerative employment.

Permanent partial disability (PPD) compensation is available when the injured worker has residual symptoms because of their work injury.

Ohio's workers’ compensation program offers numerous benefits for which you might be eligible.

Hire an experienced and knowledgeable Ohio workers' compensation attorney to pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact Zamora & Hogan Co., L.P.A.  today at (614) 344-6822 for a free consultation.

Related Posts
  • Recent Court Ruling: Implications for Injured Workers Read More
  • Mistakes to Avoid When Filing a Workers' Comp Claim Read More
  • Your Work Injury Claim is Allowed - Do You Still Need an Attorney? Read More